Friday, December 3, 2010

An introduction: Why I am writing about droopy eyelid / ptosis and retraction


I am 33 years old, and there is one specific event that triggered me sitting here sharing these thoughts I normally prefer to keep to myself. And sometimes but rarely to a close group of very supportive friends. Three months ago I walked into a operating room to have one of my eyes, which retracts, repaired. To define retracts, I mean my upper eyelid pulls up too much by itself, so you can see the white above the pupil at most times. To give a visual, its sort of like a permanent shocked look. Mine is still pretty mild, but has been getting worse lately. I will provide pictures soon.

My other eye on the other hand has what is clinically know as ptosis. To most, simply as a droopy eyelid. This eye is not being operated on, but that is a whole other story.

In any case, I have been suffering from these two eye issues for as long as I can remember. There are physical manifestations of problems due to this, but most are psychological, which I shall address as well in detail in further posts. But the biggest physical is that my eyes are asymmetrical. They are about 4mm difference between where the eyelids are, which on a 10mm eye is a lot. Which causes a great amount of social anxiety, at least for me it does.

But on this day of the surgery, in a rare moment for me, I was blindly and overwhelmingly hopefully that this was the solution to my problems. That today I will walk into the surgery, and tomorrow be a new person with perfect asymmetrical eyes. That my problems of social anxiety will melt away, and I will have a new air and confidence about me. That life moving forward will be simplified, and much, much social and better.

I am writing this because I was wrong. Its never that simple and surgery has a certain give and take to it. The surgery in fact didn’t make my problems lesson, but actually might have increased my problems several fold. In the depths of a deep, deep depression that has lasted for the 3 months since surgery and will continue on, I made a strange decision to isolate myself. Not a good decision at all, which I am well aware of. Last thing you should do in a depression is be alone. But a decision I made regardless. I feel broken by how my eyes look, and decided that if I am going to isolate myself, not to go completely insane, might as well write about this a bit. The decision to isolate myself is out of my incredible fear of communicating with people and looking them in the eyes for too long, cause they will notice my lazy eye and be disgusted, or repulsed or whatever. It is an irrational fear, and it really shouldn't matter what people see or think, but we are social creatures, and I am overwhelmed by that fear. And in this instance it doesn’t matter what anyone says, that they can see it, it doesn’t matter, etc. My mind races and that’s all I think about during social interactions anyway.

As you can probably tell by now, I am brutally honest person. And I am not at all positive about my life experience with this. If I am too nihilistic, I apologize but this is how I feel and it will be my tone to be true to myself in conveying this story. And I want to be upfront that there are worse things that could happen, that I am a very lucky person with great friends, good career, and good health otherwise. And I try to be cognisant of the real problems of the world, and my small problems by comparison. But the truth is, I’m living in my own head and it is a struggle to see that perspective outside of myself, because ultimately in my world this is the number one problem. This is the overwhelming issue of concern.

I don’t have any great “call to action”, do this and things will get better final answer. I am writing this at a point where I still don’t have the answers, and still not sure how I will even deal with continued asymmetry of eyes. What my next steps are. I guess I writing this to the small community of people out there who have this issue and themselves might not know how to deal with it. And whom people with symmetrical eyes, the majority of people, just don’t understand the social anxiety this condition can and does cause. Just to sort of say, I get it, and I’m with you and I know what you are going through. And maybe in the hopes that some of them will reach out and tell me their stories, and maybe that might not make things better but they won’t feel as isolated as these eyelid issues made me feel over the years. Before writing this, I looked on the web for stories of people like me, and found almost none. So either there are very few of us, or there is no forum to share these stories. Maybe whatever this becomes, most likely a blog entry could be that forum. I will take it from there if it needs to become more.

I am already thinking about what to write next. Probably how I hid the ptosis for years, how it affected me psychologically, or even the surgery that went wrong. There is a lot to cover. I just gotta figure out some sort of structure first. I’m new in this attempt to concisely document this topic. I hope you bare with me.

4 comments:

  1. I do have the same congenital ptosis problem since birth. All you've said are exactly the same situations that I've been dealing with. The worst scenario is if someone notices it, they make fun on my eyes by imitating it. They always degrade me and put me on a situation to laugh at. The anxiety that I've been having every moment and every second is really affecting my life. I feel so weak and different, it's like I am nobody in the eyes of the many. I am just so fortunate to have a loving partner who accepted me for who I am and a very supportive family. The doctors that I consulted before told me that there are no longer chances to correct my eyes. I don’t know if I still need to continue dreaming to have a normal eye but there is one thing for sure, that I am not alone. I promise that no matter how difficult the condition I am going through, this won’t change me as a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I was born with congenital ptosis. As I child I never worried about it. Only later as a teenager I become aware of it. Even though I wasn't bullied. Some people were laughing behind my back, but I learn to ignore it.
    I had a surgery at the age of 14/ 15. I went all good and surely helped me in many ways.
    I am happily married but I don't have kids. I kind of worry that because of me they might be born with the same condition and I don't want to put them through many bad experiences. I was lucky, I know that, but they might not be.
    the funny thing is that as I get older I get more self conscious. Before I was feeling low about it but somehow now when I'm 33 it getting more and more difficult.
    My friends and family see me as a happy and cheerful person and most of the time I'm like that. When I was younger that was a way to fight the condition. I was nice to others, I stayed away from trouble. My friends respect me for who I'm but they have no idea how hard it is sometimes.
    I look in the mirror, I tell myself that I should try to accept it and move on but I can't.
    I haven't done anything but, yet I feel ashamed.
    When kids ask me what's wrong with my eye I shrug and say it not a big deal. I always pretend I am not that affected by it, but it's not true.

    Only my sister knows how I feel, but she is like - I can hardly see any difference.
    So the biggest issue for me is that I'm all alone in this and it's been like this since I can remember.
    I'm thinking about second surgery and I will see doctors soon. I'm worried if things might actually get worse, but if I was so scared 18 years ago I would even try.

    Don't let yourself get into a depression. Who will fight for you? I've realise long time ago that with certain things I have to deal on my own. And I will. I have no choice. That's the only life I have.

    Please let me know how you feel.
    thank you for the blog. It might help a lot of people.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too i'm suffering. I have ptosis in my right eye and fracture around the bone of my eye. When i was a baby, i fall out from a balconary. I'm the ugliest man in the history. I'm suffering psychologicaly. I have a lot of problems and i can comunicate confortly with others even with my family. I'm the most of time lonely. I have depression and stress and dysmorphobia and a lot of psychological and mental diseases.

      Delete
  3. If anyone can give me any answers to what causes my severe ptosis I would appreciate it. Drs. don't know. surgery didn't work. Please, anyone contact me at billi412@sbcglobal.net Thank you.

    ReplyDelete